Saturday, September 13, 2008

My Date With My Husband & Our Garden

Today

Today my husband and I had a date. Yes, a date. But, today our date was at home. We had a babysitter come over and he and I worked in the garden together. We love working in the garden together. Just like we love hiking together. But, with baby Abigail, it's been downright difficult to get garden time in. The only time I have is her nap. If she is up, and I take her in the garden, well, she puts dirt in her mouth. And, generally she is fussy. So, it was really nice to get to the garden, and my hubby and I got to do so together, without anyone saying, "mom, can I...".

A Garden Tour

I took you all on a tour of my garden here in June. So, now I take you on a tour of my garden now in September.

 sept_garden_15

Garden Bounty


 
sept_garden_1

Strawberries & Broccoli Gone To Seed


 
sept_garden_2

Corn

Our Spring was very cold and we got a late start. Our corn was short this year, but finally we are getting some ripe heads.
 
sept_garden_3

Carrots, Lettuce Gone To Seed, & Yellow Beans

We had yellow beans and green beans this year. Unfortuneately, we haven't been very good about keeping up with them. These beans on the ground are the overripe ones. I picked about three overripe beans for every one rip bean today.
 
sept_garden_5

Pumpkins & Squash

Aren't those vines big???
 
sept_garden_6

A Pumpkin To Be

Did you know FRESH Sugar Pumpkins make absolutely the best Pumpkin Pie? Just cook them in the oven like any other squash and then puree the cooked flesh - and use it like you would canned pumpkin.
  sept_garden_8

I actually got some Grapes this year.


 
sept_garden_9

Grape Vines


 
sept_garden_4

Tomatoes

God has been faithful to care about the small things in our lives this fall. The Spring was very cold. Our garden was delayed big time. Yet, we were able to get a new garden watering system in (which our plants REALLY liked). And, this September we have had very warm weather, allowing us to be able to finish some crops that otherwise wouldn't have finished this year, and allowing us to get a little more summer in. I'm hoping my tomatoes will still turn red.
 
sept_garden_12

Asian Pears


 
sept_garden_14

Apples


 
sept_garden_11

A Lone Red Pear


 
sept_garden_10

Raspberries Up In A Trellis

No comments: