Tuesday, August 5, 2008

I Figured It Out

I just figured it out


I just figured out why I never had a baby that put sooooo... many things in her mouth before.


My first baby, Natalie, took a binky. In fact, she loved it so much, she frequently tried to put two binkies (pacifiers) in her mouth at the same time. We took it away from her at about 14 months. It wasn't hard. We just put them away.


My second baby, Rachel, sucked her second and third fingers. She sucked her fingers until she was about three and a half years old. Before that point we tried everything to try to get her to not suck her fingers - a sock and duct tape on her shirt, scolding, bitter apple on her hand - all to no avail. We got her to stop finally with the help of an appliance you put over their fingers for about three weeks. It's called a Thumb-Guard.


This baby doesn't suck anything - so her hands are free for exploring all the time.
 

No comments: