Tuesday, October 21, 2008

How I Hunker Down

 

This week's Homeschool Blogger Friend School Assignment has to do with how we as homeschool moms hunker down for the cooler weather.

Well, the first thing I must show you is what I affectionately call "Basket Flat Rain". This picture does not do our rain justice...it's hard to get a good picture of rain. Sometimes the rain storms are gorgeous (I wish I could capture them the way I see them), but other times the rain gets to be a bit much. I can't tell you how much we get right where we are, but I know the official annual rainfall for the nearest town is 80 inches and I wouldn't be suprised if right where we are we get a little more than that. That's twice as much as Seattle. I'm originally from the Seattle area and I thought it rained a lot there! I guess it rains the same frequency here, it just rains more. We live up a curvy road and then right after our place, there are a bunch of hills leading up to some footfills (small mountains). So often I go just a mile down the road and the rain is much more mild. 

rain

Anyhow, one of the things I do to hunker down in the fall, winter, and usually spring, is I WATCH BIRDS. I sit on my couch and look out my living room window and watch the birds feed at our feeders. I find it quite entertaining. And, I don't have to set foot outside in the rain to see wildlife. Here is a picture. Again, I wish I had a better one to show you. But, I haven't taken any yet this year. This is the best rainy season picture I had of one of the birds.

northern_flicker

How I Had A Blissful Fall LAST YEAR

Another thing I really enjoyed doing last year during this time of year was having a new baby. I really looked on the rainy season with more a sense of overwhelming joy. I love having a new baby. I don't get a lot done, but it really cheered me up last year. But, this is not in the realm of possibility this year, however. My little one is now almost a year. She still brings me joy.

new_baby

Something I like to drink in the cold season, that I don't drink when it's warm, is warm apple cider. Yumm. Yumm. I love to sit on the couch, reading a book, watching my birds, covered with a blanket, drinking some warm apple cider. We got so many apples this year it would be great to make cider out of them. Alas, we don't have a press. So, I will probably buy one of those jugs of apple juice (I call it cider - not the clear kind) from the store.

As for my verse, I offer you a verse from Psalm 37. Actually, the whole Psalm is excellent, please do read it. A friend gave me this Psalm to read in this last week and it really ministered to me.

Psalm 37:4 Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart.

 

No comments: